Neck Injury: Types, Causes, and Statistics in California
Neck injuries are one of the most common types of injuries in car accidents. These injuries can range from mild to severe and can have long-lasting effects on the victim’s health and wellbeing. In this article, we will discuss the different types of neck injuries, the common causes of neck injuries, and provide statistics on neck injuries in California.
Types of Neck Injuries in an Accident
Whiplash: Whiplash is the most common type of neck injury that occurs in car accidents. It occurs when the neck suddenly jerks back and forth due to a sudden impact. Symptoms of whiplash include neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and dizziness.
Fractures: Neck fractures are less common than whiplash but can be more severe. They occur when one or more bones in the neck are broken due to a sudden impact.
Herniated Disc: A herniated disc occurs when the soft tissue between the vertebrae in the spine is pushed out of place, causing pain and discomfort.
Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries are the most severe type of neck injury and can result in paralysis. They occur when the spinal cord is damaged due to a sudden impact.
Common Causes of Neck Injuries
Car Accidents: Car accidents are the most common cause of neck injuries. When a car is hit from behind or the side, the sudden impact can cause the neck to jerk back and forth, resulting in whiplash.
Sports Injuries: Sports such as football, soccer, and hockey can also cause neck injuries. A sudden blow to the head or neck during a game can result in a concussion or other types of neck injuries.
Falls: Falls can also cause neck injuries. If someone falls and hits their head or neck on a hard surface, they can suffer from a concussion or other types of neck injuries.
Statistics of Neck Injuries in California
According to the California Highway Patrol, there were over 190,000 reported injuries from car accidents in California in 2019. Of those injuries, over 9,000 were neck injuries. These statistics show just how common neck injuries are in California and highlight the need for individuals to seek legal help if they have suffered from a neck injury in a car accident.
What Should I Do If I Feel Neck Pain After A Car Accident?
Car accidents can be a traumatic experience, and even minor accidents can cause significant injuries, including neck pain. Neck pain is a common symptom of whiplash, which occurs when the head is suddenly jerked back and forth during an impact. If you experience neck pain after a car accident, it is important to seek medical attention and take the necessary steps to prevent further injury.
How Painful is a Neck Injury?
A neck injury can be painful and uncomfortable, and the severity of the pain can vary depending on the type of injury. Whiplash, for example, can cause significant pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, and upper back. In more severe cases, a neck injury can cause chronic pain that can last for months or even years.
What Should I Do If I Feel Neck Pain After a Car Accident?
If you feel neck pain after a car accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek Medical Attention: Even if your neck pain seems minor, it is essential to seek medical attention as soon as possible. A doctor can evaluate your injury and determine the appropriate course of treatment.
- Rest: Rest is crucial in the early stages of recovery from a neck injury. It is essential to avoid any activities that could cause further strain on the neck.
- Use Ice or Heat: Applying ice or heat to the affected area can help reduce inflammation and alleviate pain. Ice should be applied for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury, and then heat can be used to help loosen stiff muscles.
- Follow Your Doctor’s Advice: Your doctor will provide you with specific instructions for your recovery, including any medications you may need to take, exercises you can do to strengthen your neck, and when you can return to normal activities.
- Consider Seeking Legal Help: If your neck pain was caused by someone else’s negligence, such as another driver’s careless or reckless behavior, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. It is important to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can guide you through the legal process and help you get the compensation you deserve.
Neck injuries can have a significant impact on a person’s health and wellbeing. If you have suffered from a neck injury due to someone else’s negligence, it is essential to seek legal help. The Law Collective is a team of experienced personal injury lawyers who can help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact them today at www.lawcollective.com for a free consultation. Remember, you don’t have to suffer alone – help is available.